Current:Home > ScamsPrime Minister Justin Trudeau slams Facebook for blocking Canada wildfire news -Capitatum
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau slams Facebook for blocking Canada wildfire news
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:49:10
TORONTO (AP) — Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday accused Facebook of putting profits over people’s safety during the emergencies created by Canada’s record wildfire season.
Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, announced earlier this summer it would keep its promise to block news content from Canada on its platforms because of a new law that requires tech giants to pay publishers for linking to or otherwise repurposing their content online.
Fires raging in Canada have pushed tens of thousands of people from their homes and threatened cities such as Yellowknife, the capital of the Northwest Territories. About 30,000 people were under evacuation orders in British Columbia.
“Right now, in an emergency situation where up to date local information is more important than ever, Facebook is putting corporate profits ahead of people’s safety,” Trudeau said at a news conference in Cornwall on Prince Edward Island.
“It is so inconceivable that a company like Facebook is choosing to put corporate profits ahead of insuring that local news organizations can get up to date information to Canadians,” the prime minister said.
Government ministers called on Meta on Friday to lift its Canada news ban, which applies to local outlets as well as national media such as the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
The company, which is headquartered in Northern California, stood by its decision and said in a statement about the wildfires that people in Canada can continue to use Instagram and Facebook “to connect with their communities and access reputable information, including content from official government agencies, emergency services and non-governmental organizations.”
The country’s residents and visitors are not able to view or share news on the Meta-owned social networks, including news articles, videos and audio posted by outlets inside or outside of Canada.
Meta has not been alone in its action. Google’s owner, Alphabet, also said it planned to remove Canadian news links in response to the new law, although it hasn’t followed through yet. The Online News Act, passed in late June after lengthy debate, is set to take effect later this year.
“This is Facebook’s choice,” Trudeau said. “In a democracy, quality local journalism matters, and it matters now more than ever before when people are worried about their homes, worried about their communities, worried about the worst summer for extreme events that we’ve had in a very long time.”
British Columbia Premier David Eby said it is unacceptable that Meta hasn’t reversed its decision to block Canadian news from being shared online.
“I find it astonishing that we are at this stage of the crisis and the owners of Facebook and Instagram have not come forward and said ‘We’re trying to make a point with the federal government, but it’s more important that people are safe,’” Eby said.
He added that many people in British Columbia rely on media shared through Facebook to access information about the wildfires.
Meta took similar steps in the past. In 2021, it briefly blocked news from its platform in Australia after the country passed legislation that would compel tech companies to pay publishers for using their news stories. It later struck deals with Australian publishers.
____
Associated Press Writer Jim Morris in Vancouver, British Columbia, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (252)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- CBS News poll: Connections and conversations — and why they matter
- How a 19th century royal wedding helped cement the Christmas tree as holiday tradition
- Japan’s Cabinet OKs record $56 billion defense budget for 2024 to accelerate strike capability
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- NFL has ample qualified women vying to be general managers. It's up to owners to shed bias.
- Two people who worked for former Michigan House leader are charged with financial crimes
- Japan’s Cabinet OKs record $56 billion defense budget for 2024 to accelerate strike capability
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Long-running North Carolina education case will return before the state Supreme Court in February
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Congress launches an investigation into the Osprey program after the deadly crash in Japan
- Who is Ahmed Fareed? Get to know the fill-in host for NBC's 'Football Night In America'
- Former Colorado funeral home operator gets probation for mixing cremated human remains
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- No, We're Not Over 2023's Biggest Celebrity Breakups Yet Either
- 28 years after Idaho woman's brutal murder, DNA on clasp of underwear points to her former neighbor as the killer
- The Impact of Restrictive Abortion Laws in 2023
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Jury acquits 3 Washington state officers in death of a Black man who told them he couldn’t breathe
Why Patrick Mahomes Says Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift “Match So Well”
The war took away their limbs. Now bionic prostheses empower wounded Ukrainian soldiers
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
RuPaul's Drag Race Alum Farrah Moan Comes Out as Transgender
Long-running North Carolina education case will return before the state Supreme Court in February
New Hampshire newspaper publisher fined $620 over political advertisement omissions